Sandy survivor Jim Pantaleno poses with flashlight and newspaper article about the storm
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (CBS5) -
A Staten Island, NY couple credits a small pocket flashlight they picked up at a Valley health fair in September for getting them through nine days without power following Superstorm Sandy.
Jim Pantaleno said the flashlight he obtained for free at a Scottsdale Healthcare booth at the emergency preparedness fair "was better than any of the bigger ones we had."
The Pantalenos had visited the Community Outreach Preparedness in Emergencies fair near Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center, which was sponsored by Scottsdale Healthcare and the City of Scottsdale.
"It was one of life's little serendipitous moments," Pantalenos said. "Who knew it would be my beacon for nine days?"
Without power, the Pantalenos said they set up base in their kitchen, lighting their natural-gas stove for heat and placing candles on their kitchen table.
"Whenever we left our little base to go another room in the house, we used the little flashlight," Pantaleno said. "It cast a bright light and never conked out or needed batteries."
Pantaleno noted area stores were sold out of batteries on the first day after the hurricane.
There's more than 200,000 new outages in the Sandy-battered parts of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut in the wake of a nor'easter that brought winds and snow.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, April 18 2014 7:39 PM EDT2014-04-18 23:39:12 GMT
2014 Great Easter Egg Drop Date: Saturday, April 19, 2014 Time: 10:00 am Location: Columbia County FairgroundsBaskets, Eggs and RabbitsDate: Saturday, April 19, 2014Time: 10:00 amLocation: MistletoeMore >>
Friday, April 18 2014 7:22 PM EDT2014-04-18 23:22:50 GMT
With the weather beginning to warm up, one Augusta business man is getting ready for kayak season!Tour guide Cole Watkins takes visitors and people from all over the CSRA onto local bodies of water, toMore >>
With the weather beginning to warm up, one Augusta business man is getting ready for kayak season!More >>
Friday, April 18 2014 7:22 PM EDT2014-04-18 23:22:35 GMT
A fire destroyed a house in the 1900 block of Telfair Street Friday afternoon. Authorities say they received the call at 1:51 p.m. after two boys walking down Telfair Street saw the house on fire and calledMore >>
Crews responded to a fire that destroyed a building on Telfair Street Friday afternoon. More >>
3933 Washington Road
Augusta, GA 30907