Sandy survivor Jim Pantaleno poses with flashlight and newspaper article about the storm
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (CBS5) -
A Staten Island, NY couple credits a small pocket flashlight they picked up at a Valley health fair in September for getting them through nine days without power following Superstorm Sandy.
Jim Pantaleno said the flashlight he obtained for free at a Scottsdale Healthcare booth at the emergency preparedness fair "was better than any of the bigger ones we had."
The Pantalenos had visited the Community Outreach Preparedness in Emergencies fair near Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center, which was sponsored by Scottsdale Healthcare and the City of Scottsdale.
"It was one of life's little serendipitous moments," Pantalenos said. "Who knew it would be my beacon for nine days?"
Without power, the Pantalenos said they set up base in their kitchen, lighting their natural-gas stove for heat and placing candles on their kitchen table.
"Whenever we left our little base to go another room in the house, we used the little flashlight," Pantaleno said. "It cast a bright light and never conked out or needed batteries."
Pantaleno noted area stores were sold out of batteries on the first day after the hurricane.
There's more than 200,000 new outages in the Sandy-battered parts of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut in the wake of a nor'easter that brought winds and snow.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, March 11 2014 10:47 PM EDT2014-03-12 02:47:33 GMT
With a swift vote on several motions, big changes now in the works for Richmond County students.Collins Elementary School will shut its doors; Murphey Middle students will move into Josey High School;More >>
Collins Elementary School will shut its doors; Murphey Middle students will move into Josey High School; Sego Middle kids will consolidate with Butler High; and National Hills and Garrett Elementary Schools will merge.More >>
Tuesday, March 11 2014 10:00 PM EDT2014-03-12 02:00:25 GMT
Anthony "Buckets" Blakes has been with the Harlem Globetrotters for 12 years, and is great with tricks on the court. But he's also an inspiration to kids. "It hits home a little bit to come to Boys andMore >>
The Harlem Globetrotters are in town and talking to local Boys and Girls Clubs about how to stop bullying. More >>
Tuesday, March 11 2014 6:42 PM EDT2014-03-11 22:42:13 GMT
The Cat in the Hat was at two Augusta elementary schools earlier today. The famous red and white striped hats were everywhere at Lamar-Milledge Elementary School and Sue Reynolds ElementarySchool as studentsMore >>
The Cat-A-Van tour visited two Augusta elementary schools today as part of Read Across America. More >>
Tuesday, March 11 2014 6:04 PM EDT2014-03-11 22:04:41 GMT
WFXG crews have confirmed a large fire is burning in Augusta's medical district.Several Augusta Fire Department crews are on the scene at 15th Street and R.A. Dent Blvd.At this time, the source of theMore >>
Several Augusta Fire Department crews are on the scene at 15th Street and R.A. Dent Blvd.More >>