UPDATE: Woman dies after house fire in Evans - WFXG FOX54 Augusta - Your News One Hour Earlier

UPDATE: Woman dies after house fire in Evans

Updated:
Source: Nick Lulli (FOX54) Source: Nick Lulli (FOX54)
Source: Nick Lulli (FOX54) Source: Nick Lulli (FOX54)
Source: Nick Lulli (FOX54) Source: Nick Lulli (FOX54)
EVANS, GA (WFXG) -

A 79 year old woman is dead after a house fire in Evans.

Agatha Murphy was rushed to the hospital after being pulled from the home on Sir Galahad Drive on Thursday. The Columbia County Coroner says Murphy died from her injuries on Friday night.

Update:

A house fire in Evans on Sir Galahad Drive has been ruled accidental by the Georgia Fire Marshal's office.

Fire investigators tell FOX54 that the fire started in the den area of the home near a television, and was an electric problem. They say that the fire was not suspicious at all.

The homeowner, Richard Thigpen, was not home at the time, but his mother-in-law, Agatha Murphy, was. Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue pulled her from the home. She is in critical condition at Doctors Hospital.

Thigpen is also involved with Savannah River Site Fire-EMS and the Martinez Fire Department. He is a strike team member for SRS for hazmat, high angle rescue, swift water rescue, trench rescue, and confined space rescue.

Original Story:

Fire crews are cleaning up the scene of a massive house fire on Sir Galahad Drive in Evans.

The call came in this afternoon around 1:30pm after neighbors saw smoke coming from the backyard area of the home. Neighbors tell FOX54 that they thought that the homeowners were burning something in their backyard. Neighbors and property records indicate that the home belongs to the Murphy Family.

Smoke was seen as far away as the intersection of Washington Road and Flowing Wells Road in Martinez. Smoke and ash covered parts of Washington Road and nearby neighborhoods at one point.

Rescuers on scene from Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue were seen pulling an older female victim from the home, and strapping an oxygen mask on her. Officials on scene tell FOX54 that the victim was taken to Doctors Hospital.

The house appears to be a total loss. Flames were visible for several hours.

Powered by WorldNow