What's Working? Cincinnati Works Helps Former Outlaws Find Work - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

What's Working? Cincinnati Works Helps Former Outlaws Find Work

Bells are ringing at Cincinnati Works because one of their members just found work.

"I am very proud," said Behavioral Health Specialist Jacque Edmondson. "I'm proud of the work because I think giving someone a job is a great gift."

In September they rang the bell for Michael Powers. Restaurant Depot hired him just five days after he graduated from their job program.

"My job? Oh I love my job, love it. I'm more of a mentor, one of the oldest guys there," Powers said.

Powers' wisdom doesn't just come from age. He just quit his old job.

"I used to be a drug dealer. I though it was what I wanted to do. but after a while it got old. Prison life is just no life," Powers said. "You might as well put someone in a box."

Cincinnati Works created the Phoenix Job Program to help people off the streets and into the office. The program's week-long workshop teaches job skills like interviewing and writing resumes. More importantly, it encourages those on the wrong side of the law to do right.

Edmondson knows the economy is tough. That's why she gives her members tough love.

"If you want to help yourself, we're here for you. if you want to be picked up and coddled, we don't do that," Edmondson said.

Edmondson has worked at Cincinnati Works for ten years. But she's glad most of her members have moved on.

"I've had some members, you wouldn't recognize them today. When they came through they were critical, angry, had a negative world view, belligerent. [That] to getting an apartment, having a job, and getting a degree."

Powers is telling his story to new Phoenix members in hopes they write a better one.

"I'm an open book. I remember my mistakes so I don't repeat them. You know this is where I came from, if I can make it anyone can make it."

- Stephanie Woods

Top Stories

SLIDESHOW: Cat Canyon

Updated:

Click to see images from Cat Canyon More>>

US demands wholesale changes in Iran policies post-nuke deal

Monday, May 21 2018 8:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 12:52:00 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:12 PM EDT2018-05-22 02:12:33 GMT
    fasfdafasfda

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is laying out the Trump administration's strategy for constraining Iran's nuclear program and opposing its other behavior in the region following President Donald Trump's withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.

Divided Supreme Court sides with businesses over workers

Monday, May 21 2018 10:21 AM EDT2018-05-21 14:21:59 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:12 PM EDT2018-05-22 02:12:24 GMT
    The justices ruled 5-4 Monday, with the court's conservative members in the majority, that businesses can force employees to individually use arbitration to resolve disputes. (Source: Supremecourt.gov)The justices ruled 5-4 Monday, with the court's conservative members in the majority, that businesses can force employees to individually use arbitration to resolve disputes. (Source: Supremecourt.gov)

A new Supreme Court will allow employers to prohibit workers from banding together to complain about pay and conditions in the workplace.

School shooting may not bring change to gun-loving Texas

Monday, May 21 2018 12:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 04:52:04 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:05 PM EDT2018-05-22 02:05:17 GMT
    (Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.(Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.

The shooting suspect, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, has been jailed on capital murder charges.