Hayley and Donald Oakes knew from day one that they wanted children.
After a couple years of it being just the two of them, they found out they were expecting a son, due any day now.
To prepare for the addition, they bought a house in Gilbert, had a nursery painting party and filled the nursery with all the gifts they received from their baby shower.
A few weeks ago, they watched it all get destroyed when they came home to find the house in flames.
"I tried to turn on the hose and spray it down but it wasn't working," said Donald.
The fire, perhaps from an electrical shortage in the attic, ruined everything inside.
"Anything that may have been standing I was warned could have toxic chemicals from the fire so there's nothing we can use for the baby," said Hayley.
With no baby clothes, no car seat and no time for another shower, Elisha Albretsen emailed CBS 5 and nominated her longtime friends for our Pay It Forward segment.
"I would be terrified if this happened so close to delivering and had nothing. They have been so positive," said Albretsen.
We gave Albretsen $500 and went along as she surprised the Oakes' with the money.
Both ladies cried as Donald wrapped them up for a group hug.
Copyright 2012 KPHO (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Nominate someone for Pay It Forward Pay It Forward stories archive Paul's Car Wash More>>
3933 Washington Road
Augusta, GA 30907
FCC Public File