Katrina family still recovering after five years - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Katrina family still recovering after five years

By Amanda Hanson  - bio | email feedback

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT)- The hurricane Katrina brought not just destructive winds, but also untold misery to thousands of people. Many lost their homes and had to make new ones elsewhere, some right where you live.

"Driving for 24 hours and then to get a phone call. I mean 12 feet of water, you knew that was it. What else was left...nothing," says Keywania Dienet. She says even after 5 years, the pain is still there.

"Katrina has ruined us in a way, with things that we'll never be able to get back," she says.

Sunday marks the day when their lives changed. "I did a 90 degree turn around. Nothing is the same. You know I don't have the same job, financially it's 100% different," Dienet explains.

Their home and all their memories...lost. "When I went home, all of the pictures were laid out on the lawn scattered, molded, and mildewed."

Since the devastation hit, Dienet says her health has gone down hill. She's had nine surgeries, six within the past year. "I hate to put my children through this, to see them see me suffer," she says, and they're struggling financially to stay afloat. "I can't go back home for a visit because again financially I can't go back home and see them."

But this past February her and her family got to make a trip back to the "who dat nation." "I said I don't care if we have to rob Peter to pay Paul, some kind of way I'm getting home for the superbowl," says Dienet.

And when the Saints beat the odds and became the superbowl champions.."That was the shining moment for the whole city because everyone forgot their sorrow. Everyone forgot their pain. Everyone was screaming "who dat" and so proud of them. It was like Katrina didn't exist," she said, but when reality sinks back in, so does the devastation. "I don't know if we'll ever get over Katrina. People still need help that's the biggest message," Dienet explains.

While she says they will always remember their roots, now Jonesboro is home, a place to make new memories. "We'll make our own traditions, we'll do something. We just need the help to get there, but I want to make traditions for them here," says Dienet.

@2010 KAIT all right reserved

Senate committee OKs bill to safeguard special counsel

Thursday, April 26 2018 12:28 AM EDT2018-04-26 04:28:40 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 5:24 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:24:36 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2017, file photo, former FBI Director Robert Mueller, the special counsel probing Russian interference in the 2016 election, departs Capitol Hill following a closed door meeting in Washington. Rep...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this June 21, 2017, file photo, former FBI Director Robert Mueller, the special counsel probing Russian interference in the 2016 election, departs Capitol Hill following a closed door meeting in Washington. Rep...

Senate panel expected to vote on legislation to protect special counsel Robert Mueller's job, a bill that has split Republicans.

The Latest: Pompeo 'humbled' to serve as secretary of state

Thursday, April 26 2018 1:22 PM EDT2018-04-26 17:22:55 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 5:24 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:24:32 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File). FILE - In this April 12, 2018, file photo Mike Pompeo smiles after his introduction before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during a confirmation for him to become the next Secretary of State on Capitol Hill in ...(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File). FILE - In this April 12, 2018, file photo Mike Pompeo smiles after his introduction before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during a confirmation for him to become the next Secretary of State on Capitol Hill in ...
    The Senate has narrowly confirmed Mike Pompeo to be secretary of state.More >>
    The Senate has narrowly confirmed Mike Pompeo to be secretary of state.More >>

Trump says Cohen represented him in "Stormy Daniels deal"

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 5:22 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:22:09 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."